A new Skype installer 8.36 is available for Windows 10, macOS and Linux platforms. With Skype 8.0 update, Microsoft is dropping the widely popular design and architecture which power Skype 7 desktop builds. The old versions, Skype Classic 7.40 and 7.41 won’t work after a few months, and the official support is ending on November 1, 2018. If you wish to continue using Skype after this period, get the latest Skype offline installer from Microsoft’s website. Those who download Skype 2019 in standalone formats may distribute it on multiple machines as it doesn’t require an Internet connection for further installations.
Advantages of the latest Skype 8  desktop installer over the Classic edition.
- Skype 8 follows a fresh and flat design concept. Most of the UI elements are the same across mobile and desktop versions.
- The re-design is more mobile-focused and modern. It offers quick access to contacts, chats, and calls.
- Skype 8 brings a new notification tab for updates and alerts with the app.
- Users have the option to customize their Skype color and theme soon after installation.
- Option to send larger files and documents up-to 300 MB.
- Skype 8 adds several tweaks to the messenger tab. The one I like most is the Gallery, which stores all your media files.
- The option to quote, forward, and react to chats, share the location, insert GIFs from third-party services, get read receipts, etc. are new for Skype.
- Skype’s USP is the group calling and messaging. In version 8.0, you get 1080p HD video support for calls, for up to 25 people.
- Participants in a group chat now have the option to use @ to mention specific contacts. It is also possible to generate group invite links.
- Skype 8 has end-to-end encryption to make your calls and chats more secure. The upcoming call recording facility is also a plus.
A disadvantage of the new Skype 8.
- The Skype version 8 for Windows doesn’t have the legacy notification system that it had all these years.
- You won’t get the status changes and alert sounds in the taskbar. Also, it is not possible to set “Away” status in the latest app.
- Microsoft is bringing the Split-view mode in Skype Classic to version 8. However, as of now, the feature is only available for those who download Skype 8 preview.
A lot many people are going to miss the Skype Classic. I would say them to look at the changelog for Skype 8.36; it is huge. Microsoft has taken a mobile-first approach for building Skype 8. In my opinion, it now has all the characteristics of a modern social messenger app. Spend some time with this Skype update. I’m sure you will accept it just like Windows 10.
Download Skype installer 18.104.22.168 & 22.214.171.124 [Classic edition]
Microsoft has renamed old version Skype to Classic in early 2018. It is now possible to use Skype Classic and new Skype 8 at the same time of Windows and macOS. However, Microsoft may discontinue the Skype Classic from all platforms, any time soon. Until then you may download the offline installer for this edition of Skype from the following link.
Browse to https://go.skype.com/classic.skype to download Skype offline installer for Windows and macOS.
Those who click the above link from Windows 10 gets Skype Classic 126.96.36.199 installer file. Unfortunately, Skype Classic 7.41 doesn’t support all Windows editions. You need to download offline Skype installer 188.8.131.52 [exe] to get it working on Windows XP and Vista.
However, if you’re are loading the link from a Mac, the download you get is Skype 7.59.37.dmg. Hence, for macOS, the version number is 7.59.37 for the classic edition.
Need a portable USB installer for Skype Classic? Looking for the Skype compatible with older Windows editions? We have you covered. Visit the following link for everything on the old version of Skype.
Skype offline Installer [.MSI] for Windows
Network admins and business users who would like to deploy Skype though Windows Configuration Manager may want Skype as MSI installer. Your search for Skype MSI ends here.
Click here to download and install Skype Classic MSI [7.40]. Looking for an older edition? Go up and open the link “Get Skype Classic” for build number 184.108.40.206.
At this time, an MSI installer is not officially available for Skype version 8 and above. But, if you want, you may create a Skype 8 MSI installer from the regular .EXE file. Some third-parties have already built Skype in MSI format using online instructions; click here to download Skype 220.127.116.11 MSI. It works well with Windows GPME for updates over a network and is a safe file as per Virustotal.
Credit goes to the author at skypemsi.com for the above build. You may visit their website for old and forthcoming releases of Skype MSI Installer.
Download Skype offline installer 18.104.22.168 for desktop
As of January 2019, Skype’s installer for Windows, Mac and Linux is numbered 22.214.171.124. It seems that Microsoft starts using an identical build number for Skype 8.0 and above, on all desktop platforms. Moreover, now it is easy to download the most up-to-date and offline version of Skype through dedicated links.
Skype offline installer for Windows: https://go.skype.com/windows.desktop.download
Download Skype setup for Linux: https://go.skype.com/skypeforlinux-64.deb. Put .rpm instead of .deb extension if you need the rpm package. If you’re using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and above, consider the Snapd packing for installing Skype on Linux. Snap version Skype for Linux is more secure and easy to update.
Download Skype installer for MacOS : https://go.skype.com/mac.download
Please note that the Skype editions listed above are 32-bit versions. If you need a 64-bit Skype installer, visit the Windows store and download Skype for Universal Windows platform (Click here). However, this is going to be an online installation and requires you to sign-in to Microsoft account.
Download Skype 126.96.36.199 full installer [preview]: new and upcoming version.
Want to go ahead and download the upcoming new Skype for Windows, Mac or Linux? Find the link to the current preview version 188.8.131.52, below. The beta versions of Skype installer ( 184.108.40.206 & above) also supports end-to-end encryption to some extent. However, the opposite user should also install a Skype version supporting private messaging.
This beta build of Skype 8.37 is basically for software enthusiasts and programmers who would like to test the new features in upcoming Skype releases. However, regular users may also download standalone Skype installers under this category. Keep in mind the chances of security flaws and bugs, though.
Install Skype on Windows 10 without app store or Microsoft account
Lately, on Windows 10, Skype shows an error message, ” Please install Skype from the Windows store for the best experience. ” The offline installer that you download from the link above won’t work. Instead, it quits and opens the Windows Store page listing the Skype app. Check the video below to fix this error and make the Skype setup file working.
Microsoft wants customers to use the Windows Updates or the Store to get Skype on Windows 10. However, it is little difficult for a System-admin or a person who wants to run Skype on multiple machines to download the full installer repeatedly.
- If you see the dialogue box saying to install Skype from Store on Windows 10, just close it.
- Download the new Skype 8.36 setup (link above) and save it to the desktop.
- To install Skype offline, right-click on the installer and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab and find the Compatibility Mode section.
- Choose to run Skype on compatibility for Windows 8 as shown in the image and save.
- Restart the installation.
Now you would be able to run the full and standalone Skype installer 220.127.116.11 on Windows 10 without using a Microsoft account.