A totally new Skype installer 8.21 is available for Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. With this update, Microsoft is slowing further development of the widely popular Skype design which powers installers up-to 220.127.116.11. The old version has a new name, Skype Classic. Unlike before, Skype 8.0 is downloadable as an offline installer on Microsoft’s website. That means you no longer need to connect an online installer and then download full Skype setup file. Looking for Skype offline installer? Find the latest links below. Get Skype Classic if you wish to downgrade or switch to the old version.
Advantages of new desktop Skype installer over the Classic edition.
- The new Skype is completely a cloud-based application which syncs messages easily across multiple platforms.
- Re-designed Group and Business calling features.
- Flat design with customization options.
- Just drag and drop to seamlessly send large files up-to 300 MB.
- A notification panel for quick access to unread messages.
- Skype Classic users don’t have the ‘private conversations’ feature allowing end-to-end encryption. (Download Skype installer 8.14 and above to test this facility).
- The latest Skype looks like a web app. Hence, It takes time to load on a slow connection.
- Currently, the end-to-end encryption in Skype is not applicable for video calls.
- The video quality is not that impressive in initial versions of Skype 8 installer when you compare it to Classic editions 18.104.22.168 & 22.214.171.124.
- Personally, I don’t like the new color schemes. I prefer the old design.
- The new Skype doesn’t have the much-loved alert system that shows the status of contacts and their PCs, in the taskbar.
- Microsoft wants Windows 10 users to install Skype 8 from the official App Store. They have set a compatibility attribute that prevents installation with a standalone setup.
Skype offline installer 126.96.36.199 & 188.8.131.52 [Classic]
As said earlier, Skype 7.40 has been renamed as Skype Classic. Depending on Windows OS versions, you may choose Skype installer 184.108.40.206 or 7.40.0. 151. Windows 10 users may want to check the upgrade option to download Skype installer 220.127.116.11, which is the latest. To do this in Skype, Click on the Help Tab and select ” Check for updates ” option. Choose to Download and then proceed to the installation as the application prompts.
Browse to https://go.skype.com/classic.skype to download Skype offline installer for Windows, macOS and Linux.
The link processes download on the basis of the operating system of the client requesting access. That means, if you’re are loading the link from a Mac, the download you get is Skype 7.59.37.dmg.
Update on March 2018: Microsoft takes down the download link for Skype Classic 7.40 and updates the installer to 7.41
Security researchers found an issue with the update process that happens when the online installer installs Skype 7.40 from the temporary folder. Hence, Microsoft took down the Skype Classic 7.40 from the portal to and replaced it with new build 18.104.22.168. The new installer removes the unsafe updater module from Skype 7.40.
Unfortunately, Skype Classic 7.41 doesn’t support all Windows editions. You need to download offline Skype installer 22.214.171.124 [exe] to get it working on Windows XP and Vista.
Need a portable USB installer for Skype Classic? Looking for Skype 126.96.36.199 for Windows 10? We have you covered. Visit the link above this line for everything on the best version of Skype out there.
Skype offline Installer [.MSI] for Windows
Network admins and business users who would like to deploy Skype though Windows Configuration Manager may want Skype as MSI installer. Your search for Skype MSI ends here.
Click here to download and install Skype Classic MSI [188.8.131.52 ] as a business. Regular user? MSI file for the Classic Skype is also available in build number 184.108.40.206, go up and open the link “Get Classic Skype.”
At this time, an MSI installer is not officially available for Skype version 8 and above. But, if you want, you may create Skype 8 MSI installer from the regular .EXE file using third-party programs like EXE to MSI.
Download latest Skype installer 220.127.116.11 for desktop
As of May 2018, Skype’s installer for Windows, Mac and Linux is numbered 18.104.22.168. It seems that Microsoft starts using an identical build number for Skype 8.0 and above, on all desktop platforms. Moreover, now it is easy to download the most up-to-date and offline version of Skype through dedicated links.
Skype offline installer for Windows: https://go.skype.com/windows.desktop.download
Download Skype setup for Linux: https://go.skype.com/skypeforlinux-64.deb. Put .rpm instead o .deb extension if you need the rpm package.
Skype full Installer for Mac OS: https://go.skype.com/mac.download
Please note that the Skype editions listed above are 32-bit versions. If you need a 64-bit Skype installer, visit the Windows store and download Skype for Universal Windows platform (Click here). However, this is going to be an online installation and requires you to sign-in to Microsoft account.
Download Skype 22.214.171.124 full installer [preview]: new and upcoming version.
Want to go ahead and download the upcoming new Skype for Windows, Mac or Linux? Find the link to the current preview version 126.96.36.199, below. The beta versions of Skype installer ( 188.8.131.52 & above) also supports end-to-end encryption to some extent. However, the opposite user should also install a Skype version supporting private messaging.
This beta build of Skype is basically for software enthusiasts and programmers who would like to test the new features in upcoming Skype releases. However, regular users may also download standalone Skype installers under this category. Keep in mind the chances of security flaws and bugs, though.
Install Skype offline on Windows 10: Method to fix “Please Install Skype from Windows store for best experience” error.
Lately, on Windows 10, Skype shows an error message, ” Please install Skype from the Windows store for the best experience. ” The offline installer that you download from the link above won’t work. Instead, it quits and opens the Windows Store page listing the Skype app. Check the video below to fix this error and make the Skype setup file working.
Microsoft wants customers to use the Windows Updates or the Store to get Skype on Windows 10. However, it is little difficult for a System-admin or a person who wants to run Skype on multiple machines to download the full installer repeatedly.
- If you see the dialogue box saying to install Skype from Store on Windows 10, just close it.
- For installing Skype offline, right-click on the installer and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab and find the Compatibility Mode section.
- Choose to run Skype on compatibility for Windows 8 as shown in the image and save.
- Restart the installation.
Now you would be able to run the full and standalone Skype installer 184.108.40.206 on Windows 10 without using a Microsoft account.