If you want to download Skype Installer in 2019, the latest version is 188.8.131.52, for Windows. The old version, Skype Classic has been discontinued, and Microsoft is forcing all users to upgrade to the new Skype. Currently, an offline installer for Skype is available in Windows, macOS, and Linux desktop systems. The UI of Skype 8.48 is like a responsive web app, yet it is feature-rich and offers cross-platform compatibility in all respects. It may take a few days for you to adjust to the new design of Skype 8 if you are upgrading from the Classic. But I’m sure that will like it for the new features, after the cooling-off period.
Advantages of the latest Skype 8 for Windows
- Skype 8 follows a fresh and flat design concept. Most of the UI elements are the same across mobile and desktop versions.
- The re-design is more mobile-focused and modern. It offers quick access to contacts, chats, and calls.
- Skype 8 brings a new notification tab for updates and alerts with the app.
- Users have the option to customize their Skype color and theme soon after installation.
- Option to send larger files and documents up-to 300 MB.
- Skype 8 adds several tweaks to the messenger tab. The one I like most is the Gallery, which stores all your media files.
- The option to quote, forward, and react to chats, share the location, insert GIFs from third-party services, get read receipts, etc. are new for Skype.
- Skype’s USP is the group calling and messaging. In version 8.0, you get 1080p HD video support for calls, for up to 25 people.
- Participants in a group chat now have the option to use @ to mention specific contacts. It is also possible to generate group invite links.
- Skype 8 has end-to-end encryption to make your calls and chats more secure. The upcoming call recording facility is also a plus.
- Finally, if you download Skype 8 you get call recording and a new facility to enable subtitles during conversions.
Disadvantage of the new Skype 8 for Windows
If you ask me in July 2019, I would say none. Except the new design, which some people dislike, everything is positive about Skype 8.
Skype 8 offline installer for Windows PC
The initial response for Skype 8 was negative when Microsoft pushed the first Windows version in 2018. Not the change in design but removing existing features and forcing users to download a half-baked release was unacceptable. Thanks to the negative customer feedback, Microsoft now ships Skype 8 with all useful traits of Skype Classic minus the design.
Coming to downloading Skype for Windows, you have multiple options depending on your requirement. The new standalone Skype 8 installer is compatible with Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. If you already have Skype installed your PC, you may rely on the update process to download Skype 8. Otherwise, click on the direct link below.
Download Skype 184.108.40.206 full installer here
Apart from this, Microsoft has a Windows 10 only version of Skype up on their app store [LINK]. Customers need a Windows Store credential for downloading this version of Skype. When Microsoft launched Skype 8, they wanted to push the Store version instead of the offline installer. However, this requirement got lifted after a few weeks.
Where is the download link for Skype 64-bit?
You don’t need a 64-bit Skype as most of its functions operate smoothly under a 32-bit PC configuration. If you need to Skype for large-scale group video calls and meetings, consider subscribing to Skype for Business, which offers a 64-bit installer.
Skype MSI (8.46) standalone setup, download here
Network admins may want Skype as an MSI Installer, to deploy the application through Windows Configuration Manager. At this time, an MSI installer is not officially available for Skype version 8 and above. However, if you want, you may create a Skype 8 MSI installer from the regular .EXE file. Some third-parties have already built Skype in MSI format using online instructions; It works well with Windows GPME for updates over a network and is a safe file as per VirusTotal.
Credit goes to the author at skypemsi.com for the above build. You may visit their website for old and forthcoming releases of Skype’s MSI Installer.
Skype Classic for Windows
Skype Classic, the previous edition of Skype is no longer supported by Microsoft, the download link has also been removed from the official website. Microsoft has disabled all means to login to Skype Classic- so now its worthless to download the application on Windows platform. However, if you are interested, you may visit our page discussing old classic version of the Skype.
Get Skype 8.49 beta [preview] for Windows, here
Skype Preview program is designed to push the beta builds of the Skype app to the developers. Dev community helps Skype programmers to polish the app and fix bugs before its launch to the mainstream users. Regular users may also download Skype preview 8.49 if they would like to test new feature additions before it is publicly available. Some features of Skype Preview may not work if the person on the other side is not using the same build. Also, there may be security issues with Skype preview builds, but it is rarely reported.
Download Skype for Business Windows (32-bit or 64-bit), here.
Skype for business is a special edition of the IM with more advanced tools that are useful for enterprise customers. Microsoft had a product called Lync until 2015, until Skype for business replaced it, by combining the best of two software. Elements of Skype for Business is tightly integrated with Office tools like OneDrive, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. The application allows clients to do online meetings with hundreds of users at the same and supports full HD video calls, screen sharing, or to do collaboration work. However, the features of Skype for business on Windows depends on whether you are subscribed of Office 365 or not.
Although there are limitations, the basic version of Skype Business for Windows also supports audio/video calls and small-scale meetings.
Sign-in to the Microsoft online portal with your business account to download the version you need. As shown in the screenshot, you can download Skype for Business 2015 or the basic edition for Office 365. Skype for Business is available for both 64-bit and 32-bit Windows editions.
There won’t be any major release for this app in 2019 as Microsoft is migrating all it’s features to the Teams app, which would eventually replace Skype for Enterprise. It is possible to download and upgrade to MS Teams right now by logging into the Office portal, but it is not easy to go back and downgrade if you proceed.
Install Skype on Windows 10 without app store or Microsoft account
Sometimes, on Windows 10, Skype shows an error message, ” Please install Skype from the Windows store for the best experience. ” The Skype offline installer that you download from the link above won’t work. Instead, it quits and opens the Windows Store page listing the Skype app. Check the video below to fix this error and make the Skype setup file working.
Microsoft wants customers to use the Windows Updates or the Store to get Skype on Windows 10. However, it is little difficult for a System-admin or a person who wants to run Skype on multiple machines to download the full installer repeatedly.
- If you see the dialogue box saying to install Skype from Store on Windows 10, just close it.
- Download the Skype full installer 8.48 (link above) and save it to the desktop.
- To install Skype offline, right-click on the installer and select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab and find the Compatibility Mode section.
- Choose to run Skype on compatibility for Windows 8 as shown in the image and save.
- Restart the installation.
Now you would be able to run Skype for Windows 220.127.116.11 without using a Microsoft account.
Skype 8 for other platforms
The good thing about Skype nowadays is that it gets equal attention on all desktop and mobile platforms. Skype is now one of the best IM apps in Linux operating system like Ubuntu; that is a good sign. Check below if you wish to get a copy of Skype on Windows alternatives.
Download Skype for Mac
Apple iOS and Android mobile users may directly search the respective App Stores to get the Skype 8, Skype for Business, Skype Preview and Skype Lite (version designed for a low-speed network).