Old versions of Skype for macOS, especially Classic 7.59 and below always had a feature difference when compared with the Windows equivalent. But you won’t find that gap if you download Skype 8, the latest build of the app for macOS. The design of the new Skype for macOS may not be pleasing for some, but I like the visual similarity across all platforms. Here, I don’t have to worry about the settings when I switch between the devices. With this update, Skype for macOS gets everything you may want in a new-age social messaging cum video call app. Check out the Skype 8 changelog for macOS, and download links, below.
Download Skype for macOS 
Skype is there in macOS from the last few years, far before Whatsapp and Telegram launched their desktop versions. But the Skype Classic version 7.59 is a bit outdated when you count the features in 2019. However, Skype 8 is on par with its competitors on all fronts. It looks like Microsoft is also committed to keeping Skype 8 for macOS up-to-date. We see app updates releasing once or twice every month along with Skype for Windows.
Download Skype 220.127.116.11, here
Alternatively, you may also get the preview or beta build of the upcoming version of Skype on macOS (8.44), here
What’s new in Skype for macOS 18.104.22.168? The latest launch for Skype in this week for macOS brings settings to merge calls, re-size video previews, have a draft option for unsent chats, block calls from unwanted numbers, and support for large group calls up-to 50 people, etc.
Reasons for downloading Skype 8 on macOS
- The new Skype for macOS has a fresh and mobile-centric outlook and is customizable to some extent.
- Being a cloud-based application, Skype for macOS can sync media, contacts, and chats across all installed devices.
- A notification pane has been established to keep all new messages and updates in one tab.
- Option to record calls is a new feature in version 8 of Skype.
- Although not enabled by default, end-to-end encryption is available if needed.
- Skype 8 for macOS allows sharing larger file sizes. You could also share things from Onedrive, and other third-party services from within the app.
- Skype 8 can display subtitles for conversations in a few supported languages.
- There is a media library in new Skype for macOS in which you could search and locate all your media files that get generated in a chat.
- The quality of audio has improved in Skype 8. Now you may stream full HD video even for groups calls.
- There are a lot of feature additions to the chat window. Read receipts, option for replying to selected messages, send and receives GIFs, schedule a call, create a poll, and many more.
The above list touches only those major advantages of updating to the latest Skype for macOS. Download the app to check the call/video quality and all other changes.
Download Skype Classic for macOS, the old version 7.59
Skype 7.59.37 is the last version of the old Skype app in macOS, also known as the Classic Skype. Unfortunately, Microsoft has disabled the sign-in to Skype classic for macOS in March 2019. But you won’t feel that difference as the new Skype 8 now has almost all features of Skype Classic.
Download Skype Classic for macOS, here
Still, some people want to keep using the Skype Classic for its design and or some odd reasons. If you’re one of them, here is a way to get the old Skype working on macOS for some more time.
- Install the Skype classic 7.59 for macOS by dragging the app file from DMG installer to the applications folder.
- Login to Skype for macOS with your account details.
- Quit the installation when you see Installer downloading Skype 8 automatically or if you the message” Unfortunately Skype is not available right now.“
- Go to Applications folder and find the Skype icon. Right-click and take the option to show the Package Content.
- Locate the info.plist file inside the “Contents” folder. Now, open that file in a regular text editor and search for the term “7.59.” Change that number to something you like and save.
- Restart the Skype Classic app for macOS and sign-in as usual.
Thankfully Microsoft didn’t block Skype Classic macOS version 7.59.37 on the server side. And that is the reason why you could still access the software by changing some of its internals.
Download Skype for Business (macOS) 16.26.12
Skype for business is not a download for regular users. However, those who are using Skype 8 may contact and make video calls with the business customers after adding them as a contact. If you or your company has an Office 365 premium (business) subscription, you may want to download the app on your system; a link to the macOS version is below.
Skype for Business macOS (2019) download is, here
After downloading, use the Microsoft auto-updater to upgrade the Skype app from 22.214.171.124 to 16.26.12 on macOS.
Many of the collaboration tools available in the Windows version of Skype for Business is not there in macOS. Still, the latest edition of Skype for business, 16.26.12 is an excellent choice for group audio/video calls and online meetings. Microsoft has already announced plans to discontinue Skype for business and move all it’s features to the Teams application, in the near future. But as of now, macOS users don’t have an alternative to Skype for business. They may continue using it until Microsoft Teams get a standalone installer on macOS.
How to install and setup Skype in macOS
Skype is not listed in the macOS app store. Therefore one need to download Skype for macOS 8.43 directly from Microsoft webpage listed above and install it manually.
- The Skype 8 installer comes in DMG packager which includes the app in compressed form.
- Mount the DMG file on macOS desktop by double-clicking on the installer.
- Now you will see the Skype icon and Application folder as shown in the image.
- Drag the Skype app to the macOS Application folder to complete the installation.
After this, you may click on the Launchpad app in the macOS dock and scroll right to confirm whether Skype has been installed on not. The first time when you launch the Skype 8 app on macOS, the system may prompt a message “Skype is an app downloaded from the internet.” Just press Open and proceed with login