In 2017, Microsoft put a stop for the development of Skype version 7 at build number 18.104.22.168 and renamed it to Skype Classic. Now today Skype classic 7.40 is an old version of the messaging app, but many people consider it as the best release to date. The new Skype 8 has a fresh and flat design that comes in-line with Windows 10 UI concepts. However, some unique features that people are enjoying in Skype Classic are not present in the latest Skype. If you are a person who still prefers the old version of the software, download Skype classic 7.40 or 7.41, below.
Reasons to download Skype Classic.
- The Skype version 7.41 indeed follows a classic design that we have seen all these years.
- Skype Classic loads quick and offers plenty of addons that even works in older Windows editions like Windows XP.
- Skype 8 has a different implementation for the notification system that shows status changes and messages. I choose Skype Classic for this feature.
- The new design is a little confusing for persons using Skype from it’s golden days. It is hard to find some settings, and a few customization options are missing.
- Microsoft does not provide an MSI version of Skype 8 installer.
On the other side, Skype 8.0 has features like end-to-end encryption, option to transfer larger files, etc. Download the new Skype full offline installer. [8.22]
Download Skype Classic 22.214.171.124 & 126.96.36.199 [old versions]
Skype Classic 7.40 was initially thought as the final version of the old Skype installer. However, Microsoft had to take down the download links for Skype Classic 188.8.131.52 from the official website in February 2018. It was due to a security issue with the online installer that installs Skype Classic 7.40. Here is a screenshot that was taken from the Microsoft community discussing the security threat affecting Skype Classic customers.
It looks like the issue has been sort out with the release of the Skype 184.108.40.206. So once again it is possible to download the Classic Skype from the official website itself, but only the version 7.41.
Skype Classic 7.40 and 7.41 MSI installers
As of now, Microsoft did not announce any plans to issue an MSI installer for Skype version 8 and above. So if you are a system administrator planning to deploy Skype to computers in a network using MSI file, you would need to rely on Skype Classic at this time. Microsoft has updated the MSI installer for Skype Classic to 7.41.
Run Skype Classic without installation: download portable USB installer
Want to take the best version of Skype always with you? Get the Skype Classic portable. This edition of Skype is easy transportable on a USB. It is suitable for school and college students when their system admin disables installation of software. We have updated the link to remove Skype Classic 220.127.116.11 portable installer, which arguably posses a security risk.