In 2017, Microsoft stop the development of Skype version 7 at build number 126.96.36.199 and renamed it to Skype Classic. Today, Skype classic 7.40 is an old version of the messaging app, but many people consider it as the best release to date. The new Skype 8 has a fresh and flat design that comes in-line with the Windows 10 UI concepts. However, some unique features that people are enjoying in Skype Classic are not present in the latest Skype. If you are a person who still prefers the old version of the software, download Skype classic 7.40 or 7.41, below.
Reasons to download Skype Classic
- The Skype version 7.41 indeed follows a classic design that we have seen all these years.
- Skype Classic loads quick and offers plenty of addons that even works in older Windows editions like Windows XP.
- Skype 8 has a different implementation for the notification system that shows status changes and messages. I choose Skype Classic for this feature.
- The new design is a little confusing for persons using Skype from it’s golden days. It is hard to find some settings, and a few customization options are missing.
- Microsoft does not provide an MSI version of Skype 8 installer.
Download Skype 8 and upgrade today!
Did Microsoft update your Skype to the new version automatically? Want to downgrade to the previous version? See the options below.
Download Skype Classic 188.8.131.52 & 184.108.40.206 [old versions]
The official download link for Skype Classic 7.59, the last build number of the old version is, this. Unfortunately, the link now re-directs to the Skype 8 download page. Microsoft won’t allow you to sign in even if you download Skype 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 for Windows from third-party sources. The macOS version of Skype Classic has also got withdrawn from the website. Thankfully we still got alternative methods to run Skype Classic on Windows and macOS.
If you want to re-enable Skype Classic 7.59 functions on macOS, check our page on downloading Skype for Mac
Bypass Update Skype Today screen (Windows)
We got emails from our readers that Microsoft is blocking Skype Classic logins from the first week of 2019. We have tested it personally and confirmed that new Skype Classic downloads from the official link (given above) do not allow a login. Instead, you get message “Update Skype today.” You either have to upgrade Skype to version 8 or quit.
It looks like they are finally enforcing Skype 8 on Windows. All should now upgrade to the new version for accessing the service except the macOS users and those who have a unique skype ID.
As said before, the above download works only for a few Skype users. Those who have a Skype ID without live: badging could access the Skype Classic with this method, at least for now. Also, two-factor authentication should be turned off.
- Download and install the Skype Classic from the above link. Quit the Skype and all its instances.
- Now, go to the Skype folder in program files. Right-click on the Skype icon> Send to Desktop> Create a shortcut.
- Right-click on that shortcut icon on the desktop and take its Properties. In the target field, add “C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe” /username=winytips /password=Swinytips123 as the value.
- Change the username and password data with your information.
- Launch the Skype classic and check whether you could login.
The above method is not working for us as we don’t have a Skype ID without live: badging. But we have added this to the article as per the suggestion of our readers. Please let us know if you are able to use Skype Classic in this way, in the comments section.
Remember, the message “Update Skype Today” will appear again if you log-out of the Skype in Classic 7.41 version.
Update on February 2020: Sorry to inform all readers that none of the tricks are working now to re-enable Skype Classic. Please check winytips.com, for more about upgrading to new Skype and it’s alternatives.
Downloading Skype Classic for Linux.
Ubuntu and other Linux users may choose Snapd to install and upgrade Skype Classic and Skype 8.0 easily. We are preparing a guide on installing Skype on Linux platforms. In the meantime you may visit www.snapcraft.io/core/install for instructions.
Skype Classic 7.40 and 7.41 MSI installers
As of now, Microsoft did not announce any plans to issue an MSI installer for Skype version 8 and above. So if you are a system administrator planning to deploy Skype to computers in a network using MSI file, you would need to rely on Skype Classic at this time. Thankfully Microsoft has updated the MSI installer for Skype Classic to 7.41.
Run Skype Classic without installation: download portable USB installer
Want to take the best version of Skype always with you? Get the Skype Classic portable. This edition of Skype can work from a USB. Hence, it is suitable for school and college students when their system admin disables installation of software. We have updated the link to add Skype Classic 22.214.171.124 portable installer, which is the only usable version.